Friday, August 7, 2009

still on MODULE 4: teachers and technology


I found a very interesting article on the blog 2c worth. David Warlick has been running two polls over the past few days —
His first poll question asked us to consider whether a teacher could be a good teacher without using technology. The second question, “Is that teacher, who is not using technology, doing his or her job?” Have a look at his post to see the results. Interesting!

He articulates that today students must become information artisans - able to learn, work, play, contribute, and prosper in a new and constantly changing and enriching information environment, and do so in a way that conserves the planet — rather than consume it. He argues that we cannot do this by scratching and printing on pulp-based paper. Teaching and learning must be digital. If you don’t want to do technology, if you’re not good at technology, then find another calling.

What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sue, I've been looking in to all the Web2.0 blogs from Inner West teachers today (& tonight...there are lots) and thought I'd check on yours too as you are more IW than most bods at Leichhardt. Thanks for the link to 2c Worth above...I'll add this to my list of blogs I follow. Congratulations on a really beautiful and thought-provoking blog...actually both of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Scott,
    Thanks for your comments! Yes you're right, my heart is still in the IW! Glad you like the blogs - actually I'm a bit of a rambler on both but anyway.... Have you seen demo girl's blog? She's got great up-to-the-minute new finds. Worth a look.
    Anyway, thanks for stopping by.
    Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All right you two! Enough of the mutual love-in! Kidding. Re technology. I intend to go to the link you mentioned Sue but my initial reaction was that of course you can still be a good teacher with or wothout technology. I know teachers who don't use a lot of paper OR technology because they focus on the process of learning....thinking....oral language...but I do believe as teachers we need to investigate technology as a valuable tool to enrich what we do.....IF OUR SYSTEM EVER GIVES PRIMARY A FAIR GO WITH $$$$ TO UPDATE OUR SCHOOLS WITH TECHNOLOGY!!! The inequity is massive compared to the $$ spent on secondary schools! There ends my rant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just read your post! I agree wholeheartedly when you say that pedagogy should drive the use of technology and the choice of technology should suit the purpose of learning. Otherwise, we could have practitioners who are great at using the latest and greatest technology but still have antiquated ideas about pedagogy and how children best learn.
    Well atriculated!

    ReplyDelete